Tonkatsu are deep fried pork cutlets. Tonkatsu is usually served with shredded cabbage or on top of cooked rice (katsudon) or with Japanese style curry rice (katsu kare).
- 4 pork loin chops (about 1" thick, no bones)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 cup panko or bread crumbs
- oil for deep frying
- Make small cuts all over pork chops with tip of knife. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of meat.
- Coat the meat with flour, dip in eggs, then cover with bread crumbs.
- Heat deep frying oil to 180 C, and deep fry crumb-covered meat.
- Fry until color turns golden brown and meat floats in the oil, about 5-8 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Set the meat on a cooling rack for a minute. Cut into 5-6 pieces.