Yakisoba is a classic Japanese stir fry noodles dish with pork and vegetables, and it's seasoned with a sweet & savory sauce similar to Worcestershire sauce.
- ½ Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 3 Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Green onions/scallions
- 4 Cabbage leaves
- 340 g Sliced pork belly (or your choice of meat/bird/seafood)
- 2 tbsp Neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package Yakisoba Noodles (comes with 3 servings, 16-17 oz or 454-480 g)
- 4-6 tbsp Yakisoba Sauce (Recipe follows)
Yakisoba Sauce (makes ½ cup = 8 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Sugar (add more sugar if you don't use Japanese Bulldog Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 4 tsp Oyster sauce
- 4 tsp Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Aonori (dried green seaweed)
- Pickled red ginger (beni shoga or kizami beni shoga)
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Cut vegetables into strips, and mushrooms into slices.
- Prepare the meat as for beef stroganoff.
- Sauté the meat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for 1-2 min.
- Add the cabbage and cook until almost tender.
- Lastly add the green onion and shiitake mushrooms and cook for 1 min.
- Add the boiled noodles. Fry until a characteristic brown hue appears in the noodles.
- Mix the ingredients of the sauce and add it to the noodles.
- Mix well and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Put on a plate and decorate with dried green algae and pickled red ginger.