The Palais de Chaillot was built in 1937 by architects Carlu, Boileau and Azema as one of the highlights of the 1937 French last colonial exhibition. At that time, the French colonial empire was the second largest in the world after the British empire. In particular, it included a large part of northern and western Africa plus Indochina. The Palais de Chaillot was named after the Chaillot hill on which it is built. The Chaillot hill on the right bank dominates the Seine river and spectacularly faces the Eiffel tower on the left bank.
The Palais de Chaillot is also named the Trocadero as a reminder of the French victory in Spain in 1823. At that time, the French king intervened there to help restaure the Spanish absolute monarchy, an action very far from the 1789 French revolution ideas about human rights.
The Palais de Chaillot houses the Navy museum, the Mankind museum and the 1200 seats TNP theater. The TNP theater has been a center of Parisian cultural life after the second world war under the leadership of Jean Vilar and with actors such as Gйrard Philippe and Maria Casares.
The architecture of the Palais de Chaillot is representative of 1937 modern architecture. Two large pavilions are separated by a large terrace providind spectacular views on the Eiffel tower.