The Royal Military Academy was founded by Louis XV in 1751, with the help of Madame de Pompadour and the financier Duverney. Its objective was to make poor gentlemen into military men. Napoleon Bonaparte was trained here in 1784. The architect of the building, constructed in 1752, is Gabriel. The chapel where Napoleon graduated was not completed until 1769.
The Military Academy consists of a central pavilion with two wings added under the Second Empire, as well as a courtyard of honor. Inside is the chapel decorated by Vien and the salle des Marechaux, decorated in a Louis XV style.